Animal Health - General Expert Forum
My Budgie Question was never answered?

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

My Budgie Question was never answered?

Hello Vet, I posted a question regarding my budgie last month and for some reason, mine was the only one that was not answered. I was wondering if you'd be able to answer it now. I have not taken my budgie to the vet because it is quite costly and his "symptoms" have actually seemed to improve after putting him in a smaller cage (he is still with his four budgie friends and they all play well together in the smaller cage).

My main concern is his squeeking. Do budgies regularly squeek? Or are they not supposed to? Dexter squeeks when he eats. This doesn't happen all the time. We mostly notice it when he gets to eat birdseed (he is on a pelleted diet). He also squeeks when he sneezes and sometimes when he flies and when I hold him.  

Another thing is that he'll kick his bum with his feet while he's grooming. None of my other budgies do this.He'll also air out his wings. They'll be lifted just slightly away from his body. This is occasionally associated with heavier breathing.

He also has very warm feet. Sometimes when I ask him to "step up" I can feel that his feet are very warm, other times they are normal in temperature. The last thing is his weight. He is 46-50 grams. My other budgies are all around 30-38 grams. He is a "chestier" bird.He is curvy and I'm wondering if that why he ways a little more.

Dexter is 1 1/2 now and these behaviours have only been going on for a few months. I'm wondering if it is a problem or if it's just normal behaviour.

Thank you!
Type of Animal
:  
budgie
Age of Animal
:  
1 1/2
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Budgie
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
September 10, 2007
I am so sorry to have missed your question!

He may have iodine deficiency, and/or hypothyroid,  which can predispose him to upper respiratory infections or, if he has a goiter due to an iodine deficiency it could create a narrowing in his respiratory system (trachea), which could account for increased squeaking.   An upper respiratory problem would account for sneezing, heavy breathing, and warm feet,  Hypothyroid could account for his being "chestier", weighing more, and seeming to lose his balance when grooming.

These are problems that may require medications, such as iodine supplementation, thyroid medication,  and/or an antibiotic.  Therefore, it would be best if you took him to an avian veterinarian for evaluation and possible treatment.
Thank you very much for your help ! :)