Animal Health - General Expert Forum
My Cat Suddenly Got Violent With EVERYONE!

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

PLEASE HELP ME! I AM BEGGING YOU! SOMEONE PLEASE READ MY STORY BELOW AND HELP ME!

Helllo my name is Nick, 24 years old and i have a serious problem!

About 8 months ago my wife gave birth to my son! Happy times! So since we werent married she moved in with me in my house!

She has a cat which is male, not neutered, about 5-6 years old and the cat has lived since it was 1 year old in an apartment!
A friend came to visit and me and him went into the room to see the cat!
Suddenly the cat came off the couch and attacked FURIOUSLY my friend which has been in contact with the cat as much as i have been! He was no stranger! Then it stood in front of him is offensive position. I went to the other side of the room and called the cat to come with a gentle voice! It turned around and scratched its back on the edge of the table being all peaceful again and then attacked me FROM THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROOM! I barely dodged its attack! And not only that, the cat was still in a foul mood and seemed to see us as enemies until we managed to somehow get out of the room without being attacked again!

We already called the vet to get the cat neutered but we dont know if that will help!
Here are our thoughts

1) Its mating season now so maybe its inexperience has gotten it crazy! You know with all the hormones and stuff! We figured that this will pass but i wonder! The cat has been here for a year so this is the second mating season that the cat spends inside that room! Last year it was not that serious. But this year its CRAZY!

2) Maybe it smelled other cats on us so it became aggressive. But we make sure not come in contact with other cats before going into the room and thats what we have been doing all this time!

PLEASE GIVE ME ANY ADVICE! ANYTHING! We are desperate!
Type of Animal
:  
Cat
Age of Animal
:  
5
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Common Cypriot Cat
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
April 13, 2008
This sounds more serious than just a hormonal problem. It may be fear aggression or the aggression could be caused by a medical condition.

Prior to neutering,  your vet should really check for infections that may affect the brain and hormones, which may include, but are not limited to: hyperthyroid, nutritional deficiencies, toxoplasmosis, head trauma, Feline leukemia, feline aids, FIP and many many more.

If your vet has determined that the cause is purely behavioral, your cat may require behavioral modification medication.
I used to have a cat that I found once slinking around the corners of my room growling and hissing. It was normally such an affectionate and intelligent cat! There were noises outside, of trucks, but still I couldn't understand what was happening to him.
Anyway soon after this frightening incident I got my cat neutered (He was mature at this stage. About 3 years old)
IMMEDIATELY there was a change and he stopped any neurotic behavior, and was much calmer, and much more content and happy. He still had good energy and loved to run around outside, but was a happier cat.