Animal Health - General Expert Forum
My cat is having stomach problems

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

My cat is having stomach problems

I recently moved back in with my mom and took my cat with me. I have always fed her Friskies (which I know is prb not the best) can food and Purina dry food for indoor cats. I give her 1/2 a can in the a.m. and 1/8 cup of dry food around 4p.m. and then the second half can around 10 p.m. She always tolerated this well. She loooooves food! She always wants more. But since we have moved, she hasn't been eating all of her food and she has had diarrhea. She used to eat everything in one sitting. Now, she has only a couple bites and many times, never finishes the whole portion.  My mom has cats also but they are separated from my cat upstairs. But I did use my mom's Fancy Feast cat food and her kitten dry food for my cat for a about a week after we moved because I was still unorganized. She got 1 small can of Fancy Feast in the a.m. and p.m but she was getting about 1/3 cup of kitten dry food during the day.  These symptoms just started 2 or 3 days ago. Could this be the cause of her stomach issues? Or could it be something more serious?  I look forward to your response. Thank you.
Type of Animal
:  
cat
Age of Animal
:  
3
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
short hair, tortoise shell
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
November 30, 2010
City
:  
Medfield
State/Province
:  
MA
Hello meesha1313.
A decreased appetite and diarrhea are common signs seen in cats and can due to a handful of reasons. Off the top of my head the first thing I think of is simply stress from the move. If this is the case then it will gradually resolve on its own. The foods you are describing are not the best diets however. They are higher in salt and fat and feeding them regularly can cause gastro-intestinal problems such as a pancreatitis or enteritis. Your local vet will have specific foods designed to feed your cat to help reduce an upset stomach and resolve diarrhea. If it does not improve in the next few days then a visit to the vet is warranted.