Animal Health - General Expert Forum
My cat wont go to the toilet

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

My cat wont go to the toilet

I asked a question the other day about my cat, and now since I have started her on the new diet she has still been a bit funny, she hasnt used her litter box for a couple of days no urine or stools and is getting swollen again?
Its the easter break so the vets is closed and im wondering if this could be helped easily maybe their is somthing I could use to make her go to the toilet? or should she see the vet asap?
Type of Animal
:  
cat
Age of Animal
:  
1 yr
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
russian blue
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
April 02, 2009
I am more worried about not urinating than defecating.  Could she be urinating and defecating inappropriately, i.e., somewhere other than the litter box?

I forgot to mention in the last post that your cat should only be on a wet prescription food, since she may have a problem with constipation.  Additionally, did the vet check her anal glands when you took her in for an exam?

If she has a problem with constipation than you must increase her water intake even more, and add a non-wheat based fiber, such as Metamucil,  to her diet to help soften the stool.  Sometimes a small dose of lactulose must be added to the diet to keep some cats regular.
I have kept her in the laundry the last couple of days to keep a close eye on her, and i cant find any urine or stools anywere. The diet my vet put her on was a low residue diet, so I am not sure what to do I have only been giving her water since yesterday morning because im worried about her getting to swollen. The only things the vet has done is a stool test wich came back ok. I have just double checked the laundry and it is dry no urine or stools her bed is dry and her litter is dry, she did run out side yesterday but only for about half an hour and I havent let her out since about 12 yesterday so I can say that she hasnt used the toilet for at least 24 hours, and I havent seen her use the toilet all week. Her belly feels hard, but she is in no pain still happy and will eat or drink. I can call a nurse in an emergency but our Vet isnt here for the easter break and we live in a small country town so im not sure what I need to do?