Animal Health - General Expert Forum
My dog died suddenly please help me

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

My dog died suddenly please help me

My dog just died an hour ago. He is 9 years old was strong, healthy, and happy. He threw up once last night and earlier today he was jumping around acting perfectly normal. At 1 am I heard him throw up again so I went to check on him. He had a mixture of foam and saliva hanging from his mouth. He drank nearly a gallon and a half of water on a period of an hour, throwing up three times in that time period and it was all clear. We comforted him and stayed with him. He was delirious  and barely coherent he eventually started breathing hard and he got up walked outside and collapsed. Minutes later he had a seizure and a couple of convulsions and died in my arms. Please if you know anything about this write back. We have other dogs and need to know of they will be ok
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
9
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
German Shepard mix
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
August 24, 2010
City
:  
Las vegas
State/Province
:  
Nevada
Country
:  
Usa
So sorry to hear about your dog.  We had a real scare with ours last year.  She is ok now, Thank God!

All I can think of is maybe she got into some poison.  Do you have oleanders in the yard or any other poisonous plants?  Could she have gotten into some rat poison?  It takes about 24 hours for rat poison to kill them.  It looks purple most of the time.  You might want to check your yard for it.

I hope that helps.  So sorry again for your loss.

We are very sorry for your sudden loss.  We also have a member -to-member dogs community where I'm sure our members can help, too.  Please feel free to stop by there, too -- http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Dogs/show/4

Cheryl
MH Community Mgr

I am so sorry to hear about your sudden loss.  It is so hard to lose such a close member of the family.

The only thing I can think of is some type of poison.  It almost sounds like he could have drank some antifreeze?  

My heart goes out to you...I know from experience how hard the sudden death and unexplained death can be.