Animal Health - General Expert Forum
My dog has the hiccups
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

My dog has the hiccups

For the past few weeks, every time my 8-year-old male German shepherd chow mix is laying down or laying on his side, his stomach will spasm like he has the hiccups.  He'll take a breath, and after he exhales, he'll have a spasm like a hiccup in the vicinity of his stomach.  Sometimes it's a quicker spasm, happening twice with every breath, but it's very rhythmic. Is this something I should be worried about?  He looks very uncomfortable.
Related Discussions
234713_tn?1283530259
Please try over the counter Gas-X, and Bean-O as prescribed on the box for a few days.  Your dog is large enough for the human dose.

If this is ineffective please try a change in diet from whatever you are feeding now to an only canned, high protein, grain-free high quality dog food.  Switch over slowly over an one weeks time or so.  You can continue with Gas-X and Bean-O during this time.  Probiotics will may also help.

If the above is ineffective, please have him examined by a vet and have X-Rays of his abdomen performed if necessary.
2 Comments
Blank
Thank your for your advice.  We've changed his food recently to one that had more garin in it, so that may be the answer.  I appreciate your time!
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979