Animal Health - General Expert Forum
My dog is losing control of his legs
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

My dog is losing control of his legs

I have a 5 year old black lab.  About 6 months ago he started having what I can best describe as "episodes" where it seems he loses control of his back legs.  He'll be standing on them, but he can't control them.  He loses his balance and falls over and stumbles around.  At the time, he looks like he's having a mild seizure, but the whole time his tail is wagging fiercely and he's fully alert.  Sometimes the episodes last for 30 seconds, sometimes as long as 4-5 minutes.  He'll go days without having any episodes, then he'll have periods where he has several in a day.  The vet tested him for epilepsy, but that was ruled out.  What could be wrong with him?
Related Discussions
234713_tn?1283530259
Did your vet actually see an episode?  Did you video-tape an episode to show to your vet?  If you have than epilepsy can be ruled out.  If not, than it could still be epilepsy.  There are no actual tests for epilepsy.  An MRI or CT scan can show areas in the brain where there may be an abnormality such as a lesion or tumor but even then epilepsy may or may not be a problem.   Seizures beginning at over 4 years of age can be caused brain tumors or lesions, by metabolic abnormalities, chemical or toxin ingestion, head trauma, or ideopathic (of unknown cause).  Seizures come as many different types, such as just shaking for 30 seconds or more, or as episodic drooling excessively for 30 seconds or so, not just as the expected dramatic shaking, loss of consciousness, urination and defecation.

I would suggest that you video tape an episode and show it to a veterinary neurologist.
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979