Animal Health - General Expert Forum
My dog is losing weight

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

My dog is losing weight
For about a month my dog looks worse and worse. He is only losing weight on the back half of his body. He looks sucked in and I can see his ribs and his butt bone. He has no loss of appetite. And he is also walking funny with his back legs. Last time I took him to a vet they told me he has flea allergies because he loses his hair on his back in the summer time. Again he is losing his hair, and it's not even hot out yet.
Flea allergy dermatitis can be an all year problem and should be treated proactively with a good topical flea and tick preventative and an anti-histamine, steroid, or Atopica, or combination of all three, all year round.  

Is he walking funny due to the secondary irritation and skin infection due to scratching, or does he have muscle atrophy due to degenerative joint disease?  I think it is time to have him evaluated by your vet.  If he has arthritis than he should be placed on a joint supportive glucosamine supplement, Omega 3 fatty acids and an NSAID (if not already on a steroid for his skin).

Please have him evaluated by a vet soon!