Animal Health - General Expert Forum
My dog passed away

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

My dog passed away

I just got my year old yorkie spayed, on Monday August 23rd, I was told by my vet that she had done well and was recovering well. I picked her up at 4:30 pm brought her home and she slept til about 8:00pm. I tried giving her water and tried to feed her but she refused both. I gave her rimadyl for pain and she fell asleep til 11:30 and was moaning in pain. I called the vet and was told it was normal and that all dogs react different. She got up at 9:00 am and drank water and used the restroom and seemed Okay. At about 12:15 she started crying so I took her to the same vet they immediately took her to the back to be checked. The vet came out and told me that she thought that my dog wasn't responding well to the pain killers and they were going to give her a shot of morphine and send her home with painkillers. The vet recommended blood work, about half an hour later the vet came and told me that my dog had stopped breathing and they had to perform CPR and had machines breathing for her. She said my dogs body went into shock from the surgery and she devolved pancreatitis and her heart was going into shock and she didn't think she was going to make it. She then asked if I wanted to euthanize her or allow her to pass on her own. She walked out of the room and said she would give me a minute and walked back in saying that my dogs heart had stopped. I was in shock and was upset. I loved my Ally more than anything in this world and wanted some kind of closure of how she passed away. Nothing made sense to me in how it all happened right away and nothing could be done to save her. I've looked every where for answers
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
1
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Yorkie
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
August 23, 2012
City
:  
El paso
State/Province
:  
Tx
Country
:  
USA
Blood Test Results
:  
Tested for pancreatitsis
My deepest condolences to you.
Complications like this are extremely unusual. Most often they cannot be predicted or stopped but other times they are foreseeable and are due to poor anesthetic choices or drug choices. If it is possible I would ask to have a post mortem done. A pancreatitis is an unusual complication to a properly completed spay surgery and I would be more interested in looking to see if internal bleeding occurred.
I decided to get my dog cremated.. Would there be any signs for internal bleeding her bowel and urine looked normal.