Animal Health - General Expert Forum
My dog was diagnosed with lymphoma. What do I do?

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

I have an 8 year old pitbull mix. He was taken to the doctor 5 weeks ago. The doctor gave him prednisone and antibiotics for what he thought was an infection and joint pain. My dog felt much better. After 4 weeks, he reduced the dosage of prednisone. My dog started feeling very ill. He wouldn't eat, move, and both his legs were limp. I took him to the hospital, and after some tests, found out he had lymphoma. HE IS ON PREDNISONE AGAIN, AND HE FEELS MUCH BETTER.

Here are my choices:
1) prednisone alone - he will likely have another month
2) CHOP chemo treatment - he will likely have 7 months according to oncologist. BUT, he has already HAD prednisone, so chemo might not work.
3) once-a-month chemo with limustine and prednisone - probably 2-3 months.

Here are my concerns:
My dog is very fearful. I don't want to torture him with chemo if he only has months to live. I am leaning towards once-a-month to minimize side effects and trips to the doctor.

I don't know what to do. I don't want my dog to suffer, but I want him to live as long as possible if he is active.

I want you to share experience with the three options:
Has anyone used limustine/prednisone as first line treatment?
What was your experience with CHOP chemo for your dog?
Has anyone used prednisone alone?

PLEASE HELP ME!
I thank you all in advance.
Type of Animal
:  
dog
Age of Animal
:  
8
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
pitbull mix
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
August 27, 2012
City
:  
LA
State/Province
:  
Country
:  
United States
Other pertinent test results
:  
Lymphoma
High calcium
First off, I am sorry to hear about your dog and the diagnosis of lymphoma. Cancer is the most common disease diagnoses in older dogs and it can be very difficult seeing them succumb to this disorder.
I am not certified in oncology treatment so when it comes to chemotherapy usage, I rely on the specialists. I have had experience with patients on prednisone for this disease and it can help for weeks or sometime months. Every patient is different.
I do have a case recently of a german shepherd who was 10 years old when he was diagnosed with advanced lymphoma. He recently passed away but that was after 18 amazing months. He received the CHOP protocol and suffered very little side effects. His appetite remained strong, he kept his weight on, he played and caused trouble like any normal goofy shepherd. So if you are able to afford the best treatment I would recommend the CHOP protocol.