Animal Health - General Expert Forum
My parakeet's wings are bleeding what do I do?!

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

My parakeet's wings where bleeding! We haven't gotten his wings clipped since I bought him back in March and now in June he had begun to molt, I assume, considering all the little feathers on the bottom of the cage and the new little feathers coming in on the top if his head. Today, I came home and got him out of his cage, he was fine just chilling on my shoulder when I handed him over to my sister, he jumped/flew over toward me but when he opened his wings to fly toward me, I got splattered in the face with a drop of his blood, I looked down and there my little Elation was with the tips of his feathers all red and bloody. I'm not sure what to do, the bleeding has stopped now but I'm worried that it may start up again, he will not allow me to lift his wings to see underneath them so I'm worried and wondering what to do now!? Please help!
Tags: bloody wings, Bleeding, parakeet, What do I DO, worried, wings
Type of Animal
:  
Bird
Age of Animal
:  
About a year, I believe
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Parakeet
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
June 13, 2012
While I do not treat birds, I do know a little from when I was a student. It sounds like a broken blood feather. These feathers are different from normal flight feathers and contain an artery and a vein within them. The only way to permanently stop a blood feather from bleeding is by plucking it however if you do it wrong the bleeding can become more intense. Considering it is no longer bleeding I would leave it however if it continues again speak with your local vet (assuming they have avian experience) and have then show you how to pull the feather safely.