Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Nail Removal?

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Nail Removal?
Ive been reading over your answers to split nail issues. my 1 year old dane just recovered from having a peice of paw pad "sliced" off. now she has split a nail on her other front paw.Which is surprising to me because i trim her nails regularly, unlike my other dane (2 years) who will not let me near his and he has never had a nail issue. Ive cut off the bottom part of the nail. Ive been cleaning it daily with the blue vet antibacterial soap and apply anti-fungal cream, keeping it covered when she is outside. She is a very active dog and continues to be her normal bouncy self. I do have some clavamox at my disposal. should I start her on them to prevent infection. Is there anything topical I can use to make the nail grow back faster, and I do prefer treating my dogs at home, but if I were going to get it removed or the other options, besides the $70 appointment, how much is this going to cost me?
If the nail is broken down far enough the only way to make a new one grow in faster is to have it pulled out completely, which is very painful.  When I have to perform this procedure I use local anesthesia at the site, so I don't suggest that you perform it at home!

Unless there is something wrong with the nail bed a new nail will eventually grow in but it will take time.  Soaking the foot in Nolvasan or Betadyne solution will help.  The Clavamox won't hurt.

If however, you don't see any improvement soon, please take her to the vet.