Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Old Dog Pants all night
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Old Dog Pants all night

We have a very large Golden. He's 105 lbs. (Not overweight....he's a big dog!). He is also getting very old. he will be 14 in November. He has bee very health his whole life except for an incident about 2 years ago where he swallowed a pice of rope and required surgury to remove.

For the last 3 months he has been panting all night long. (Pants less throughout the day). Sleeps all day and seems very uncomfortable at night so he tends to pace or wander around.

I know he does not have too much longer (his sister passed a few months back). I don't want to be guilty of making him hang on if he is in pain.

Is the panting an indication that he is feeling pain?
Related Discussions
234713_tn?1283530259
Heart and lung diseases increase with age and can be easily diagnosed with chest X-rays, ECG and Echocardiogram.  Heart and lung medications can be highly effective, if the panting is due to heart or lung disease.  Sometimes abdominal masses can be so large that they can push up against the diaphragm and cause a mechanical obstruction or compromise to the chest cavity resulting in decrease in the efficiency of the heart and lungs.  Additionally, joint pain can cause increased panting.  Please have your dog evaluated by a vet.    Most of the problems I have listed do have medications than can improve his quality of life.  Additionally, if it does turn out to be joint pain NSAIDs and acupuncture and neutraceuticals are very helpful.
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979