Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Open Wound After MCT Removal

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Open Wound After MCT Removal

My dog has surgery on September 11th to remove a mast cell tumor from his inner back leg.  By Sept. 14th the sutures had tore out.  Now, this is an open wound that is raw and very deep, it is about an inch long.  They had me buy vetericyn and spray it on it once to twice daily and wrap it, then I went in on Monday Sept. 17th.  They cleaned out the wound, gauze packed it with an antibiotic of some sort then wrapped his entire leg.  They said the bandage needs to stay on for 7-10 days, then they would like to remove it.  So he has an appointment on Sept. 27th to get the bandage removed.  I am afraid leaving a bandage on for that long will make the wound infected, because of the drainage the wound was still making on Monday.  Should I listen to my vet or what should I do? I don't really agree with leaving a 'dirty' bandage on for 10 days on an open wound.  
Type of Animal
:  
English Bulldog
Age of Animal
:  
31/2
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Bulldog
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
September 17, 2012
State/Province
:  
Oregon
Country
:  
US
`I have personal experience with this. My first dog Rebel was a greyhound and we had to remove a benign mass from his chest. due to the location and the type of skin that greyhounds have, we could not close it and he had an open wound about 4 inches in diameter. Overtime it healed very well and eventually he didnt even have a scar. so your guy will be fine.
I agree with you regarding the bandage though. My rule is to keep the first bandage on for only 1-2 days as it becomes moist quickly. After that I will keep a bandage on for 5 days maximum but will change it even every day if it is moist. Wound discharges will increase the risk of infection and franly I like to be able to assess the wound every few days anywyas. Discuss your concerns with your vet and ask if you could change the bandage yourself every few days.
Thank you for your response. I spoke with my vet yesterday when they called me with the results of his tumor. By the time they wrapped it for the ten days a week had almost past. He told me that it is a little different with surgical wounds and they want some pressure on the wound. The bandage is very thick and almost like a cast on his leg. I am taking is temperature daily to make sure he is not getting a fever or sign of infection. He has been just fine so far. I'm going to follow his advice and hope they know what they are doing. He said that he understands my concerns as its not what you would think to do with an open wound. Thanks again!