Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Pacing and restless dog

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Pacing and restless dog
My thirteen year old golden retriever has been pacing and restless. His front legs sometimes give out and he seems weaker than normal. You can't slow him down to get patted. Sometimes he falls to the ground and rests for a minute, then he is back up. He bumps into things and keeps his head close to the floor. He seems hungry all the time and eats a lot. This behavior has been going on for a few weeks and is very unusual for this very friendly and engaged animal. When I take him out for a walk, he seems almost normal again.
Because your dog is older, diseases including Canine Diabetes and Cushing's disease could be ruled out with a complete blood and urine panel. Both disorders often cause canine appetites to increase.

You indicate elevated liver enzymes and if you can post complete results, that would help me to help your dog and offer valid suggestions.

Most of your dogs signs are abnormal and are likely related to a single underlying health problem. Poor vision and/or, a bad disc in your dogs neck or cervical spinal arthritis could cause your dog to keep his head down and bump into things. Cervical or neck spinal disc issues could also be responsible for your dogs front leg weakness.

Falling to the ground to rest can be due to a cardiovascular issue involving your dogs heart and/or lungs.

Begin with complete blood and urine panels. be sure the heart worm status is negative, then consider neck and chest x-rays if needed.

Should you want to follow up on this with me, that would be fine.

Best Wishes,
Dr Carol Osborne, DVM