Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Pain with kidney disease

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Pain with kidney disease
My cat has kidney disease.  She eats k/d prescripion dry food, but  will not eat the k/d can food so I give her Friskies which is not good for her, but at least she eats it.  She uses her litter box at least 10 times per day and drinks a lot of water.  I realize she is in trouble and I can accept that.  My question - is she in pain and will she experience pain toward the end?  I  have a living will for myself and if cats could sign one she would have one.  I do not want her to be in pain, we love her.

Feline kidney disease does not cause usually cats to be in pain. With proper diet, fluids and vitamin supplements your cat should be able to enjoy a full, happy life and her kidney function should improve. Home made diets have proven to be a wonderful option for our feline patients with kidney disease. Many cats do not like K/D. Blood and urine tests would be the first step to determined the exact status of her kidneys. If you can post these results, I can offer you specific therapeutic suggestions.
Best Wishes
Dr Carol Osborne, DVM