Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Pancreatitis and Liver Function

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Pancreatitis and Liver Function

On Christmas day, my Miniature Schnauzer found a ziplock containing 4-5 slices of summer sausage.  She tore through the bag and quickly ate the contents.  For the next few days, we noticed that she was eating less and less until she would simply walk away from her food at mealtime.  We noted that this was highly unusual.  Friday, in an effort to get her to eat, I poured some water on her dry food.  This worked and she ate it all.  About midnight Friday night, she started throwing up.  A lot.  Saturday morning I called the vet and they wanted to see her right away for fear of pancreatitis.  They drew some blood, gave her some IV antibiotics, and some fluids, though she was not dehydrated.  They also gave me some prescription pills to give her at home along with some prescription dog food that we are to feed her a teaspoonfull at a time, a couple times per day.  
A few hours later, the vet calls back to tell us that the blood work indicated that Piper's liver was not functioning, or barely functioning.  Basically we are to give her the prescription for pancreatitis, give her as much water as she wants and only feed her a tiny bit when she takes another pill (Diawin, for nausea/diarrhea) every four to six hours.
Piper has not vomited at all since Friday night and she is keeping down the food at water we are giving her.  She acts like she is starving, but I don't want to risk harming her further by giving her more food.
I just really want to know what I can expect out of this.
She seems to be getting better, but I remain cautiously optimistic at this point.  Because she seems to be getting better, does that mean she actually is?  It has only been a few days.
She sounds as if she is getting over the pancreatitis with out difficulty, which is excellent.  Desiring food and no longer vomiting are very good signs.  You should be able to give her a small amount of food every 2-3 hours since she is starving.  

Pancreatitis can affect other organs in the body including the liver.  This episode of pancreatitis had an acute onset and being acute may not have the lasting effects that a chronic insult could have.  The liver has remarkable regenerating  power, and should regenerate (though slowly) through this episode.  It may help for you to give Piper some liver support medications and supplements such as Denosyl, milk thistle, alpha-lipoic acid,  burdock and dandelion root.  For a  dog her size you would use 1/6 a human dose, as listed on the bottle.  The supplements are available at health food stores if not available at your vets.  Denosyl is available by prescription.
Thank you very much for your response.
Piper did vomit again this morning (the first time since Friday).  I did not find it immediately so I fed her at lunch time and she was still very excited to receive the food and ate it very quickly.  That was at about noon, and so far so good.  She seems to be keeping it down.  Our vet called to check on her about an hour ago and said that we could begin feeding her about a tablespoon of Hills Prescription Diet i/d every hour as long as she can tolerate it.
She is currently taking an antibiotic for her pancreas and Diawin for nausea.
I hope very much that we are on our way out of this.  These last few days have been terrifying.
I'm so glad she's getting better.  Very small amts of the food, as frequently as she can tolerate it, is the key rather than larger amounts a couple times a day.

One of our dogs ate an entire large container of Crisco shortening once.  He nearly died, but did eventually recover..it took a couple of months.  
Wow!  He really was lucky!
Piper has also been known to eat strange things.  About a year ago, she tore into a bag of Kingsford Quick Start charcoal and ate several briquettes.  Until this, I was certain she had a cast iron stomach.
I really hope this turns out okay.  I have already resigned myself to the fact that she will be on this prescription diet long term.  It really seems to be helping things.
Our dog was eventually able to get off and eat regular food.  It may have taken close to a year.