Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Parvo

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Parvo

Hi. I recently found out my dog has parvo Thursday, so 4 days ago. She was puking and had Diahrrea and not eating. Well she's been in the vets office for 4 days and she still isn't eating. Everytime we go see her, she looks worse than before. They let us bring her home today to see if she wanted to eat because she wasn't eating over there and since she was no longer puking or had no Diahrrea. So we brought her home and she was all happy, she ate a few bites of turkey. And then later started acting weak and ill. So we brought we back. Well we got the receipt from the vet and it says only 2 iv fluids and absolutely NO other medicine. That is not enough to keep her hydrated and she should be on anti-bacterial medicine. You can also tell she was dehydrated because she was drinking water like crazy. I plan on going get her from that vet tomorrow and bringing her to a new vet who will actually care for her. Is this a good choice?
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
5 months
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Siberian husky
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
October 29, 2012
City
:  
New iberia
State/Province
:  
Louisiana
Country
:  
Us
Parvociurs is a very difficult disease to treat and at times when you think the patient wont get better they all of a sudden turn around, or the opposite happens; theyre looking better and then they crash again.
It is diffiult to say if "2 iv fluids" is enough because I dont know what that exactly means. Parvovirus dogs must be on IV fluids and an aggressive treatment plan must be instituted to give them the best possible chance. Blood work should be done to assess white blood cell count, and even at times plasma transfusions are administered. If youre not happy with how things are going, getting a second opinion never hurts.