Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Please Help

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Please Help
My cocker spaniel has had an ear infection since June. My vet has tried all medications. He is now on posatex. He was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in august. He now has started to shake all the time. What else could be causing his ear infections ? We now have him on special dog food for food allergies.
Otitis or ear infections are quite common in cocker spaniels which is why this condition is referred to as "Cocker Ear".

A culture and sensitivity report would be helpful. Cleaning your dogs ears out daily then medicating is fine, assuming your medication is correct for the specific type of ear infection your dog is experiencing. Shaving his inner ear flap helps to allow air to enter the ear canal as does plucking any excess hair in the ear canal.

The shaking may be nerves or it may be that the dose of thyroid meds is too high. Your vet can help you to correct this.

Dr Carol Osborne, DVM