Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Pneumonia

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Pneumonia

My baby has been diagnosed with pneumonia, a week ago.  She still acts as if she is in pain, and has short rapid breaths.  She is on Zeniquin, and a pain med.  She was originally in an oxygen kennel for 2 days, and was pretty good when we brought her home.  Now it seems like she gets these bouts of gasping for air, her gums are still pink.

I am startin to think her vets arent sure what is wrong with her.  They say they see improvement in her x rays, but if anything, I believe she is physically going downhill.  Could this be fungal? Am I just being paranoid, and her labored breathing is st her feeling sick?  I am going out of my head with worry, and wondering if I am not being persistent enough.
Tags: pneumonia
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
5 years
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Shitzu-bichon mix
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
September 03, 2012
City
:  
richfield
State/Province
:  
mn
Country
:  
usa
Blood Test Results
:  
blood tests were normal, except for one (and I cannot remember what it was) It was suggested she may have had a bout of pancreatitis.  Red blood cells were a little high.
X-Ray Results
:  
Showed pneumonia scattered throughout both lungs
Other pertinent test results
:  
slight fever, heart worm was negative
Never feel like you are being paranoid. You will know how your pet is responding often better then the vet simply because they have grown up with you, you know their personality and behaviors etc. Bouts of gasping for air are less of a concern if her gums remain pink and can simply be due to the fibrosis and scar tissue that is surrounding the lungs. Much like a whooping cough or pleuritis (inflammation of the space surrounding the lungs), there will be episodes of gasping fits, even when things are getting better.
fungal infections can be misdiagnosed as bacterial pneumonia, it has happened to me, but if the xrays are looking better then this likely is a bacterial infection. Ask your veterinarian if a bronchodilator will help and express with them your concerns, I am sure they will be happy to listen and work with you to help your dog. Lastly, if youre not satisfied, there is nothing wrong with seeking a second opinion. Let your vets know that you appreciate their help and I expect they will support your decision to get some more advice. We all want our pets and patients to get better and the best vets arent the ones with all the answers but instead welcome the assistance of ther colleagues.
Thank you, Cliff!  I think that is what I needed to her the most, that the gasping and rapid breathing are going to be normal, at least for now.  

I didn't mean to make it sound like I didn't trust her vets, I think I am nervous about it all because through no fault of their own, there are three main vets that have been caring for her.  And after hours emergency vet, our regular vet, and a referral vet, because our regular vet did not have an oxygen kennel.  Communications have been further confused because the er hospital has digital x-rays, and the other hospitals couldn't read them.  So until they are able to open them, we have no way of comparing the three xrays that were taken days apart, to see if there is improvement.

She is breathing better today, still has her bursts, and it looks painful for her to walk, and is definately painful for us to carry her.  I found some baby food with meats, and so now she will at least eat a little something.

I guess I'm not sure if I am doing the right thing, you know?  She has been suffering so much.

Thank you again for reassuring me about the rough breathing, and that she should be ok as long as her gums are staying pink.  I now lay down with her during these attacks, and talk to her and support her until it gets better.

I appreciate you!