Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Poisoning/Joint Stiffness

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Poisoning/Joint Stiffness
My dog recently consumed a small amount of anti-freeze. He was rushed to the vet and received IV Treatment for 48 hours. He has recovered from the poisoning, but nearly immediatley began to limp. He has been returned to the vet, and began antibiotic and painkiller treatments, but has still not improved. Has anyone run into a correlation between poisoning and joint stiffness before? He has been with the family constantly since he came home from the vet, so I know he has not suffered any type injury to cause the joint stiffness. Also one day he favors his left front leg and the next he favors his right.
No generally there is no correlation between dogs ingesting antifreeze, antifreeze therapy and joint stiffness and/or lamness.
My recommendation would be to have your vet run a complete blood profile which should help to reveal the actual cause of the joint issue. Auto-immune disorders are classic for canine rotating/shifting leg joint issues. I am glad to follow up on this with you.
Dr Carol Osborne, DVM
Please also test for all the tick borne disease's: Lyme, Ehrlichia, Anaplasmosis, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, etc.

A therapeutic trial with the antibiotic, doxycycline may also be beneficial.