Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Possible neurological disease?

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Possible neurological disease?

I have a 4 year old Pit (Staffordshire/Boxer mix, I was told) named King. 3 weeks ago he started loosing weight and having a hard time with stairs. He seemed to be having a problem with his hind legs.
His weight loss got worse as he began loosing muscle mass. I took him to the Vet and he ran blood tests. The only problem the Vet saw was a high white blood cell count. He was prescribed antibiotics and a worm pill because we had recently been to the lake.
After a week and a half, he is getting worse. He now cant get into or out of the car and he walks very slow. The Vet suggested he may have a neurological disease and King is now taking Doxycycline and Prednisone.
Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.
-Chad
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
4
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Pit/Boxer Mix
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
December 13, 2011
City
:  
Greenfield
State/Province
:  
IN
Country
:  
US
Blood Test Results
:  
Done. High white blood cell count was only thing noted
X-Ray Results
:  
None taken
Other pertinent test results
:  
None
I am sorry about your dog.  I think that your vet is correct and that it may be an excellent idea to take King to a veterinary neurologist for a definitive answer and potential treatment.  Doxycycline and Prednisone are also extremely helpful.  The doxycycline is prescribed for many different tick borne diseases which can cause the symptoms you have described and the prednisone is helpful for autoimmune muscle wasting diseases which also fit your description, and many others.  While waiting to see a veterinary neurologist, perhaps your vet could perform a small biopsy of one of King's muscles to help rule out diseases specific to the muscles.