Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Possible pregnant dog with green discharge

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

My dog is possibly 44 days pregnant. Complete blood panel showed WBC 24.8 and RBC slightly low, but nothing to be concerned over the vet said. Gums were pink and temp was 101.8. They gave her one bag of sub-q fluids for dehydration, due to lack of not eating or drinking for a couple days. They gave her anti-nausea medicine and did xray. Xray showed gas in duodenum of small intestine and no sign of puppies though they said it was early. My dog is now eating, drinking, no vomiting, and has had one normal bm since yesterday. They were concerned she may have a blockage, but she had a bm this morning. It was small and soft. She is also leaking a pale green-tinged brown- liquid discharge from her vulva. She is leaking quite a bit since yesterday. The vet said she may be losing her pups. It has not been confirmed that she is pregnant. She had an ultrasound on day 36 and showed no pups, but one small spot that "could be" a puppy. She then started the discharge, so I took her in on day 43 for an xray. Xray showed no sign of pups but they said it could be too early to see them. She has another ultrasound scheduled for this thursday and she will be 51 days. Her teats do like bigger and the back ones look like they may have milk in them. She is looking wider and larger more towards the front of her chest area rather than her stomach. She also was seen by the vet at 35 days for a possible UTI. She was having frequent urination and leaking urine. They put her on 500 MG amoxicillan 2pills 2xday and then now it is 2pills 1xday. This morning she has been sleeping most of the day. She did eat half a can of dog food, urinated several times this morning, and had one small bowel movement. She is now back to being curled up on her doggy bed and continuing to leak the pale green discharge. What could be going on? Is she losing the pups? Does she have an infection? If she's pregnant would her WBC be high anyway? Please help. I love my girl so much and don't want anything to happen to her.
Age
:  
4
Breed
:  
English Mastiff
Gender
:  
Female
Spayed/Neutered
:  
Possibly pregnant
State
:  
Maine
Veterinary Visit (month/year)
:  
October 7, 2010
Diagnosis
:  
My dog is possibly 44 days pregnant. She has a complete blood panel and her WBC was 24 and RBC were slighty low, but nothing to be concerned over the vet said. They gave her one bag of sub-q fluids for dehydration, due to lack of not eating or drinking for a couple days. They also gave her anti-nausea medicine and did an xray. Xray showed gas in duodenum of small intestine and no sign of puppies though they said it was early. My dog is now eating, drinking, no vomitting, and has had one normal bowel movement since yesterday. She is also leaking a pale green-tinged brown- liquid discharge from her vulva. She is leaking quite a bit since yesterday. The vet said she may be losing her pups.
Weight
:  
130
1 Comment
A pyometra is a pus filled uterus and is a life threatening problem.
This is my biggest concern and if this is the diagnosis she should be spayed immediately.
The hallmarks of a pyometra are high white count drinking in excess and green discharge.
I would run this by your vet!