Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Post surgery swelling

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Post surgery swelling
My dog had a tumor removed from the inside of her elbow on 1/29/09.  The vet bandaged the wound.  We've been back twice to have the bandage adjusted due to paw swelling.  The vet said yesturday there was a great deal of trauma in closing the wound and we would continue to see swelling.  She said to take the bandage off entirely if we wanted to see if that would help.  The paw continues to be very swollen.  Is there anything we can do to relieve the swelling?  My dog is on Rimadyl.  
Most of the swelling should go down soon, but it could still swell intermittently for a few months.  This is because the skin around a joint is very tight and joints are difficult to mobilize since joints must be in motion when the pet walks, and this causes increased swelling due to inflammation.