Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Pregnant cat with tapeworms

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Pregnant cat with tapeworms

My neighbors have this cat, and they don't take very good care of her.  They keep her outside a lot, which in itself isn't bad, but she isn't spayed.  My boyfriend and I started leaving some food and water out for her when we saw her drinking our dirty gutter water one night (yuck).  We recently discovered that she is both pregnant and infested with tapeworms.  I can't really take her to the vet, since she isn't my cat, but I was wondering if there was a safe de-worming medicine that I could give to her.  They are definitely not the kind of people I would feel comfortable approaching about the proper care of their cat, and I wold hate to call the S.P.C.A. because their kids would be heartbroken.

Droncit is considered to be safe in pregnant cats and is specifically for tapeworm.  You will have to get Droncit from a vet.  If she has tapeworm, than she has fleas.  Fleas can be even more dangerous to her kittens when they are born because they can cause anemia.  Please apply one of the anti-flea topicals such as Advantage or Frontline for cats.

What will happen to the kittens once they are born?  I don't know how you can accomplish it,  but the mother must be spayed after the kittens are weaned, and the kittens spayed and neutered when old enough, or this vicious cycle will recur.  Thanks for your kindness, and good luck.
I just looked up Droncit online.  It says it contains 23 mg of Praziquantel, which is the same as Tradewinds, which is apparently a generic (non-prescription) tapeworm medication.  If they contain the same amount of chemical, is the Tradewinds version safe for pregnant cats as well?  One of my cats is pregnant and has tapeworms but I'm afraid to give her some of the Tradewinds I have on hand without knowing for sure if it's safe for her.