Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Proin, how much is too much?

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Proin, how much is too much?

My dog started taking 50 mg of Proin at night about a year ago. Last week I noticed when she laid down in the day time she was incontance as well, so I started giving her 50mg  in the day time as well. One vet at this practice said that I really should wean her off of that after a month, another said that it causes the heart rate to go up. So I stopped her on if Friday, then last night she again had issues. I gave her the Proin later that normal 8pm instead of 7pm and I notied this at 10:00pm. So this morning I gave her 25mgs of Proin.
How would I know if I am giving her too much? What do you suggest on using Proin?

She is about 55 lbs.

~ Thank you!
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
11
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Border Collie
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
October 01, 2010
State/Province
:  
TX
Country
:  
USA
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi I am sorry to hear about your dog and glad to help.

Phenylpropanolamine is available for pets as Proin, for the treatment of urinary incontinence in dogs. This is not a new drug but was a human drug, the FDA removed from the market because of adverse side effects in people primarily high blood pressure.
If the phenylpropanolamine (PPA) was working but the incontinence returned, hormonally responsive urinary incontinence is still the most likely issue. Proin dosage in dogs is 0.4-0.8mg/pound every 12 hours or twice a day.

Some dogs need estrogen replacement therapy. Usually it is possible to use low enough dosages that adverse side effects are unlikely. We never encountered any adverse issues  using DES which is also called diethylstilbestrol (DES) for incontinence.

Other health issues that your vet could detect such as misplaced ureters, stones, urinary tract infections or kidney disease may also be underlying problems responsible for this.

Best Wishes,

Dr Carol Osborne, DVM
Thank you

This is the same dog with the IMHA and I have been told, but you might know better that the DES could harm her. She has always had isses, when she was very young I used DES with her and it helped, I did not have to use it for very long but stopped when she got ill with the IMHA ( not the cause).

Thank you for making me feel better with this medication.

Avatar_dr_f_tn
I do not think using the DES would be harmful at all or affect the IMHA
Dr Carol Osborne, DVM
Thank You for telling me that, If I need to go that route, I will feel much better. Have a great day !!