Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Rabies

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Rabies

I live in Beijing and a few months ago came across a kitten who had just been hit by a car and seemed to be clinging to life.  Long story short, (I know it was stupid), after much discussion and cajoling from a friend of mine, I took in the cat in attempt to save its life.  It eventually recovered, although it remains lame in one leg.  My concern is regarding rabies.  I cannot prefectly time when I got the cat - the last few months have been quite stressful and I have had many other issues to deal with - however, I have certainly had it for at least 3 months.  Could it conceavably have had dormant rabies for this long?  Would a rabies shot prevent it from spreading rabies if it already has been infected but the disease hasn't made it to its brain yet?  I went to get it vaccinated a few days after I took it in but the vet said that it didn't want to do it b/c its body was already working hard to heal its obviouse other injuries.  (Like I said, since then has been a bit hectic so I haven't made it back.)  She is naturally an aggressive cat, and likes to bite (not deeply) when she plays so there is alot of saliva going around.  I have never had a cat before and am not sure if I should be legitamitely afraid of rabies at this point.  Also, for what it is worth, I began my rabies vaccination regime a week or so ago - whish is recommended for all foriegners in China over a month - but my girlfriend and roommate haven't yet.  Am I putting them at risk???  Thank you for your time and reading through all this.

Also, should anyone reading happen to be in Beijing and want a cat let me know!!!!
I highly recommend that  your girlfriend and roommate and anyone else with close contact with your cat receive the rabies innoculation just in case, especially since the innoculations are no longer an ordeal as they had been in the past.  I would have the cat given a rabies shot ASAP.  If your cat shows signs of unusual behavior I would quickly consult your veterinarian over there.  There are laboratory tests to detect rabies called rabies titers.  I don't know if these tests are available in Beijing, since they are not easily available in the US but I would try to check locally to see if you can have your cat tested.