Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Rabies
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Rabies

I live in Beijing and a few months ago came across a kitten who had just been hit by a car and seemed to be clinging to life.  Long story short, (I know it was stupid), after much discussion and cajoling from a friend of mine, I took in the cat in attempt to save its life.  It eventually recovered, although it remains lame in one leg.  My concern is regarding rabies.  I cannot prefectly time when I got the cat - the last few months have been quite stressful and I have had many other issues to deal with - however, I have certainly had it for at least 3 months.  Could it conceavably have had dormant rabies for this long?  Would a rabies shot prevent it from spreading rabies if it already has been infected but the disease hasn't made it to its brain yet?  I went to get it vaccinated a few days after I took it in but the vet said that it didn't want to do it b/c its body was already working hard to heal its obviouse other injuries.  (Like I said, since then has been a bit hectic so I haven't made it back.)  She is naturally an aggressive cat, and likes to bite (not deeply) when she plays so there is alot of saliva going around.  I have never had a cat before and am not sure if I should be legitamitely afraid of rabies at this point.  Also, for what it is worth, I began my rabies vaccination regime a week or so ago - whish is recommended for all foriegners in China over a month - but my girlfriend and roommate haven't yet.  Am I putting them at risk???  Thank you for your time and reading through all this.

Also, should anyone reading happen to be in Beijing and want a cat let me know!!!!