Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Rash on chest

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Rash on chest

My puppy has a red rash on his chest and lower area.  Could this be from heat?  If so, what is something I can give him or put on him?  I've bathed him and washed his blakets.
Type of Animal
:  
dog
Age of Animal
:  
2 yrs
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
boston terrier
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
March 26, 2009
Did it occur after he was lying outside in grass?  If so,  it is probably a kind of gnat or small flying insect bite.  The bites can occur in high numbers and look like a skin infection.  The "rash" caused by these gnats is quite distinctive, and if you could post a photo it would be easier to diagnose.  A single bite looks like a red ring with a slightly raised center.  This particular rash has been very common this spring.  Cortisone cream can be applied to the rash if your dog will not lick off the cream, (most dog's will lick it off).  Oral Benadryl may help.  The dose for Benadryl is 1mg per pound up to 3 times per day.  If these measures are ineffective, please take your dog to the vet for evaluation and treatment.