Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Raw eggs

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Raw eggs

I have heard that I can give my dogs raw eggs in their food. Their food is dry (beneful) mixed with wet (alpo). Is it safe to do this? And what about Salmonella if it is safe? Thank you in advance
Type of Animal
:  
Dogs
Age of Animal
:  
8 yrs, 4 yrs, 2 yrs
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
1 chihuahua, 1 Shepard mix, 1 boxer
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
August 11, 2012
Great question. It is safe for your dog, but not for you. RAW food does contain dangerous bacterias and it is true that the dogs stomach can handle it, however dogs who are fed raw meat or eggs shed salmonella and/or e. coli on their fur and in their saliva. I would recommend you speak with your vet about safe supplements to add to the food to give your dog the extra omega fatty acids that eggs contain.