Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Red upper lip

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Red upper lip

My 1 year old chi mix has always had two little black lips and a black nose. Yesterday I noticed that his entire top lip looks really pink. I am just wondering if it is possible that the color of his lip could be changing or if this is something else. I changed his food a week or two ago but that is the only change that has been made. Should I be concerned?
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
1 year
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Chihuahua/Shih Tzu
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
September 28, 2008
Color change of the lips can very easily be related to allergy.  It is common with the use of plastic bowls for food and water, plastic and other dog toys, food allergies, and other allergies.  Since it is isolated to the lips it may just be a contact atopic dermatitis.

Switch to stainless steel bowls, eliminate plastic toys, switch back to his old food, and try using filtered water instead of tap water.