Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Rimadyl overdose
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Rimadyl overdose

My dog was neutered 4-17-12. He came home on Rimadyl 50 mg q twice/day. He ate all the rimadyl at once in my absence. I took him to the hospital within 2 hours of overdose. The vet started IV fluids and administered apomorphine at 6 PM. At 9 PM he spiked a fever 107• and started started seizing, Can this be from the medications?
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
3 years
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Labrador
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
April 18, 2012
City
:  
Quakertown
State/Province
:  
Pennsylvania
Country
:  
USA
Blood Test Results
:  
Rimadyl overdose - 550mg
apomorphine at clinic
X-Ray Results
:  
n/a
2054217_tn?1330542034
Unfortunately it is possible. Rimadyl is within the class of drugs called Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) and are very safe but like taking an over-dose of even an over the counter drug, too much becomes very hard on the liver. There are other reasons of course for these symptoms however and with some diagnostics your veterinarian should be able to determine the true cause.
6 Comments
Blank
Avatar_f_tn
Thank you for your response. My dog was sensitive to the activated charcoal which elevated his sodium and caused him to seize. He has stabilized and it appears he will be fine....
Blank
462827_tn?1333172552
Wow, that's odd........I'm delighted to hear this update.......So glad that he will be fine!  Karla
Blank
Avatar_f_tn
Thanks! Yeah, it struck me a bit odd that they administered the activated charcoal nearly 7 hours after he ingested the Rimadyl. Unfortunately, he had already vomited copious amounts from the apomorphine - so maybe his electrolytes were off balance anyway. They did wake him yesterday morning and it appears there is no brain damage from the nearly 30 minutes of seizing and the high fever....One has to wonder the wisdom of making a toxic drug in treat form. I understand that it is much easier to medicate a dog when he enjoys the taste - but whatever happened to holding his mouth closed and massaging the throat? Oh, well - all is fine!!!
Blank
2054217_tn?1330542034
woohoo!
Likely the activated charcoal has little benefit 7 hours later but it is such a safe substance that we give it anyways. I am doubtful it caused the electrolyte imbalance. The vomiting is likely the cause. Pfizer makes Rimadyl and evn though this was a toxicity due to an accidental overdose I would request your vet speak with the company. They ask tat we keep them informed so they can monitor issues like this.
Blank
Avatar_f_tn
Thanks for the advice! I will definitely make the request. Do you think the benefits of having the drug tasty for the dogs outweighs the risk of them thinking it is a treat and consuming copious amounts? I don't even know if it's an option - but will definitely ask for non-treat-like meds in the future....
Blank
This Forum's Experts
234713_tn?1283530259
Aleda M Cheng, D.V.M., C.V.ABlank
American Animal Hospital
Randolph, NJ
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eaters: How to Silence Yo...
Mar 26 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
1344197_tn?1392822771
Blank
Vaginal vs. Laparoscopic Hysterecto...
Feb 19 by J. Kyle Mathews, MD, DVMBlank
1684282_tn?1350782543
Blank
The Death by Heroin
Feb 03 by Julia M Aharonov, DOBlank