Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Roadside seagull

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Roadside seagull

I found a herring gull, lying on it's back on the side of a road, this was at 2:30 in the morning on friday, it is 14:00 on saturday at time of writing. I pulled over to see if it was dead, but it turned out it wasn't. It tried to escape from me, but it fell on it's chest and didn't make any further attempt to get away. I checked it for fractures, but wings, legs and neck are fine. I would simply have snapped it's neck for it's own good if there had been fractures. As it seemed to be doing alright, I brought it home. I have now been almost force feeding it for a while. (putting food into the beak, then it eats on it's own)

I wonder, because the speed of the car must have been quite low when it got hit; if there is a chance that it might be suffering from internal bleeding or a concussion. I haven't seen it eat voluntarily and it seems to be sleeping proportionally a lot for being a bird. The bite isn't as strong as on an adult bird, but then again, this bird is only just changing it's coat to the adult colours, which to me puts it's age at 3, possibly 4 years old.

It seems to be on the route to recovery, as far as energy goes, it is now walking around in it's enclosure, but it doesn't seem to want to fly at all. I brought it out to my garden yesterday, but it didn't try to take off, just walked around for a bit.

If you don't know what could be wrong, I would love to get some suggestions as to the quantities of food and water a bird of this size requires.

I am hoping for a quick reply, as I don't feel that I have adequate facilites or time to keep a bird of this size or upkeep in my spare time.

Thank you for your time.
ArcticViper
Type of Animal
:  
Larus argentatus
Age of Animal
:  
3-4 years judging by coat
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Latin name given.
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
July 07, 2012
City
:  
Sydrugoeta
Country
:  
Faroe Islands
Blood Test Results
:  
Was not examined due to price.
X-Ray Results
:  
N/a
Other pertinent test results
:  
N/a
unfortunately I have no experience with avian medicine...I stick with cats and dogs. I am sorry I could not be of more help.
Thank you for the reply. It died early tuesday morning, well fed and watered, so I suspect there must have been some internal injuries.

You can delete this question if you like.

Thanks.