Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Round Patch of Hair Loss on my Hamster

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Round Patch of Hair Loss on my Hamster

My healthy hamster started with a small area of hair loss in a circle on the outside of it's "rear" (along the spine) and it's now progressed to a larger area, no hair is left, and small red dotted/scabbed over dots.  Is there anything I can do to help my hamster with a cream ... ?  Could it be from sleeping in the corner of her crate.  We use cedar chips changed 1X a week.  I am thinking the chips are cutting the bare skin but not sure why the hair loss patch to begin with?

She is eating and drinking fine and is fully domesticated.

Thanks.
Type of Animal
:  
hamster
Age of Animal
:  
2 yrs
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Panda
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
July 07, 2010
The hairloss may be due to scratching due to skin mites/parasites, or to a skin infection such as ringworm (fungal infection). Cedar chips can be irritating, and unscented pine shavings would be a better choice. I recommend taking your hamster to your veterinarian for skin scrapings to look for parasites and a ringworm culture; I cannot recommend anything over the counter, since we need to know what is causing the hairloss, and many topical medications can be toxic to these little animals if they are groomed off. If your veterinarian does not see pocket pets, you can try to find a vet in your area who does: http://www.aemv.org/vetlist.cfm

Good luck,