Animal Health - General Expert Forum
SOmething haning from my dog's private area

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

There is something red like in color and the size of a coin purse hanging fro her private area. It just started to show today and her other actions and mannerisms are fine. She is careful when going to the bathroom, but for my dog that is not out of the normal. I was told it could be a vaginal prolapse and will go away when she is out of estrus. My vet told me not to worry that much and if it gets worse they will squeeze her in otherwise I have an appointment in 2 weeks. Is this a possibility about the prolapse and how harmful can it be.
Hi, I agree this sounds like a prolapse and you might consider a second opinion as this should be replaced immediately in my opinion and experience.

Leaving prolapsed tissue untreated usually leads to the tissue drying out, invites bacterial infection and in time the tissue will die and become what we call necrotic, which would require surgery.

Your vet can clean this tissue for example with saline, lubricate it and replace it internally. A simple purse string suture placed properly by your vet which can be done with local anesthesia will help to keep it in place. If you do not intent to breed her, spaying her is an option to discuss with your veterinarian.

I hope this is somewhat helpful.

Best Wishes
Dr Carol Osborne, DVM