Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Scabs behind the ears
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Scabs behind the ears

Hello
My cat was developed scabs behind her ears, so far, thats all they are. I was coming home from a trip when I saw a open scabby wound behind her ear, I put it off as a play or fight with another cat but then another one was coming behind the other ear!
Thank you very much for your time
Paige
Tags: cat, scab, Ear, wounds, SOS
Type of Animal
:  
Cat
Age of Animal
:  
6 or 8
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Barn cat
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
March 05, 2010
City
:  
calgary
State/Province
:  
aB
Country
:  
canada
Related Discussions
931217_tn?1283484935
Dear P-c,

The skin has limited ways with which to respond to inflammation, typically with redness, hair loss or both. Both of these can be related to any number of processes that lead to inflammation. Development of inflammation for many reasons may cause itchiness (pruritis). In diagnosing the cause of a skin problem, it helps to know if the pet is itchy and that itchiness has led to self trauma (i.e. scratching) or if the pet is not an dthe changes seen are unrelated to self trauma.

That said, a barn cat with scabby ears may well have ear mites, a microscopic parasite which causes itchy ears, scratching and self trauma and scabs result from the self trauma.

Do see you doctor for diagnosis and treatment.

Very best regards and good luck!

Sincerely,

Arnold L. Goldman DVM, MS
MedHelp  &  PDOC
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949