Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Scabs on my Cat
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Scabs on my Cat

My 10 year old cat gets scabs around her face and sometimes on her neck. They are mostly above her eyes and near her ears. She is a 100% indoor cat so fleas are not a problem. They don't seem to bother her, she doesn't scratch of lick them and I can touch them without it hurting her. She's had them for a few years and they come and go. I sometimes try to put neosporin on them and that seems to help a little. Does she just have allergies maybe? We have another 2 year old long haired cat who does not have this problem. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Type of Animal
:  
cat
Age of Animal
:  
10 years old
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
long haired
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
January 19, 2008
City
:  
Lehi
State/Province
:  
Utah
Country
:  
USA
Related Discussions
931674_tn?1283485296
The most common cause for recurrent crusts and sores on the face and neck would be an underlying allery, such as food allergy or pollen/dust allergies, and secondary bacterial skin infection is common. Skin cancer or ringworm (fungal skin infection) would also be a concern, but lesions should not come and go with these diseases. A skin biopsy would be recommended for diagnosis, and if biopsy supports allergy then the first step would be a hypoallergenic diet trial for possible food allergy (there is no accurate skin or blood test for food allergy, the test and treatment are the hypoallergenic diet such as duck/pea and no other foods for 8 weeks). If lesions continue to recur despite diet change, then pollen/dust allergies would be likely, and consultation with a veterinary dermatologist (www.acvd.org) would be helpful to discuss treatment options.
Kimberly Coyner, DVM DACVD
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank