Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Shih Tzu death

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Shih Tzu death

My Shih Tzu recently died. I was not taking care of it at the time since I had moved to another country. Anyways, around 1 and 1/2 month before my dog died I visited it and saw that he had a red eye. I think he had an eye infection... I didn't think much of it at the time because I thought it would just pass and the owner would take care of it.
But it died recently from loss of appetite and a fever, according to the owner. Could the eye infection have caused the death?
And could the dog have rabies? Do the symptoms match? (I had an open cut on my hand while playing with him at the time and I was trying to feed him from my hand so I am scared I may have gotten rabies from him)
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
5
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Shih Tzu
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
February 06, 2011
  • rabies (1 replies):
    does the gas that is breathed by a cat includ rabies vir...[more]
  • Cat Rabies (1 replies):
    Can you get Rabies from petting a cat who rubs it's mout...[more]
  • Rabies Risk (1 replies):
    I live in Beijing and a few months ago came across a kit...[more]
  • Cat Bite Rabies???? (2 replies):
    I was bit by a friends cat who has never been vaccinated...[more]
  • RABIES (1 replies):
    My cat got badly bitten/attacked by an animal and has be...[more]
I am so sorry about the loss of your dog!

I am also sorry that there is no definitive way to determine the cause of death without a post mortem exam, toxicology screen, examination of the brain for rabies infection, and blood-work.  

If your dog was not vaccinated for rabies you should contact your own doctor and discuss rabies prophylaxis for yourself.

Shih Tsu's have bulging eyes normally and are prone to eye infections, so that the problem with his eye may just have been an eye infection and could have been incidental, but as I have already mentioned there is no way to tell.