Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Shoulder dislocation

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Shoulder dislocation
I took my dog to the vet a couple days ago for a cough and they dislocated his shoulder.
They put it back in place and wrapped it to stabilize it. They said to keep the bandage on for 2 weeks. Does this sound right? Seeing that they did this to my dog, I can't rely on them being credible.
How did they do that?  Did he jump off a table?

A shoulder dislocation means that the ligaments that hold the shoulder to the humerus have become torn.   The bandage is placed to keep the shoulder as stable as possible and give the ligaments time to heal.  Two weeks may or may not be enough.  It would be best to have his shoulder re-evaluated at the end of the two week period.

Occasionally, shoulder dislocations require surgery.