Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Siberian Husky skin condition

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Siberian Husky skin condition

Hi I own a Siberian Husky aged 3 and he was recently diagnosed  with the skin condition, Pemphigus Folliaceus on his nose and I was just wondering if you knew of any ways of either curing the condition or at least lessening its effects? My husky is currently on steroid cream but the vet isn't sure it will work that well and has limited knowledge of the breed so I was wondering if you had any suggestions if you have come across it before, many thanks Elaine
Pemphigus Foliaceus is an auto-immune /hypersensitivity II disease in which the affected patient produces anti-bodies against the his own layers of skin.  The following diseases common in the Siberian Husky have a similar pathology and also have a similar appearance to pemphigus foliaceus:

Zinc-responsive dermatosis
Discoid lupus erythematosus
Eosinophilic granuloma
Follicular dysplasia  
lupoid onychodystrophy, this only affects the claws/nails, but can occur with the lupus erythematiosis

A definitve diagnosis of PF (pemphigus), requires a punch biopsy. Has a biopsy been performed on your dog?

Unfortunately, immune supression is required to control these diseases, with the exception of  Zinc responsive dermatosis.  Steroids, Cyclosporine and some medications usually used for cancers (though PF is not a cancer) can be used to control the lesions.  PF and the other autoimmune disease can occur intermittantly, and seem to resolve for a period of time and than return.  Additionally, medications that had been effective previously can become ineffective later on, witch means that the medication must be changed.  Usually the medications must be taken internally at high doses in addition to topically.

I would add Zinc to his diet, just in case.  There are also herbal remedies that can help.  Hoxsey Formula,  available online,  can be an excellent adjunct, along with Co-enzyme Q-10, Vitamin C 1000-3000mg or more, Quercetin, a fish oil supplement, and others.  

I would find a holistic vet in your area to help with the vitamin and herbs.  Check with the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association and Chi Institute (TCVM.com) and other sites.