Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Spayed female dog peeing blood.
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Spayed female dog peeing blood.

My spayed female dachshund has been peeing blood off and on for the last two days.one time it will be normal pee and the next it will be heavy blood. She has had urinary track infections in the past but the blood has never been so heavy.she eats and drinks and acts as if nothings wrong.she is up to date on her shots and just had a wellness check up two weeks ago and she was healthy.what is wrong with her?
Related Discussions
234713_tn?1283530259
Sorry about the delay in writing.  I have had software problems since the latest update by medhelp.  I hope you have taken your dog to the vet by now, but if you have not this is what I would suggest:

1.  Bring urine to your vet and have it analysed for a urinary tract infection.
2. If your dogs has been treated unsuccessfully for a urinary tract infection than a culture and sensitivity should be performed on sterile urine.  The urine should be obtained by cystocentesis, or catherization since a free catch urine can be contaminated with bacteria on the surface of the vulva.
4.  An X-Ray of your dog's bladder should be taken to check for bladder stones.  If bladder stones are found than she will have to have surgery to remove them.
3.  If there are no bladder stones,  and while waiting for the culture and sensitivity to come back a good broad spectum antibiotic should be taken.

Additional possibilities include a uterine stump infection,  vaginal infection, kidney infection, among less likely possibilities.
3 Comments
Blank
82861_tn?1333457511
Please call your vet NOW!
Blank
165308_tn?1323190145
It can be a bad urinary track infection again.  However, I would definitely get her to the vet.
Blank
This Forum's Experts
234713_tn?1283530259
Aleda M Cheng, D.V.M., C.V.ABlank
American Animal Hospital
Randolph, NJ
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity