Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Struvite crystals

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Struvite crystals

My cat has problems passing urine, he has been diagnosed as having a bladder infection, and having crystals, he is on a special diet  and drinking lots of water, the  cat is leaking this foul smelling liquid, he  is on medication for the infection and is wearing  a cone on his head to prevent him licking himself until he is raw , it has been 1 week since he started the medication and the leakage is increasing, how long does it take for crystals to form ? how long in general before the infection  ceases?
Type of Animal
:  
cat
Age of Animal
:  
2.5 yrs
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
medim haired cat
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
December 05, 2010
City
:  
Langley
State/Province
:  
bc
Country
:  
Canada
Avatar_dr_f_tn
I would take your cat back to see your vet and immediately address this lower urinary tract issue. Blocked male cats pose a true life and death emergency and re-blockage of the feline urethra is very common. The fact that urine is flowing is good but this does not sound normal to me.

Usually feline urinary tract infections are cleared up after 7-10 days of giving the correct antibiotic. Depending on whether or not your cat's urine was sent to the lab for a culture and sensitivity, the current antibiotic may or may not be correct.

Generally gram negative antibiotics, specifically Baytril and Orbax are antibiotics of choice for cat urinary tract infections as opposed to gram positive antibiotics such as Amoxicillin and Clavamox which are great for skin infections but generally not effective to eliminate urinary tract infections.

Struvite, which is the name given to feline magnesium-ammonium-phosphate urinary crystals forms slowly over several weeks to months until enough accumulates to interfere with normal urination. The exact frequency of feline Struvite formation varies with your cats age, body weight, diet, water intake, level of hydration, medical history, etc.

We have had excellent results in our feline patients that tend to block and have trouble urinating normally using a combination of two natural feline supplements along with a home made diet.

Should you want to follow up on this with me that would be fine.

Dr Carol Osborne, DVM

Dr Carol Osborne, DVM