Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Sudden death of staffordshire bull terrier

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

My mums dog has just collapsed and died, she has been a little quiet over the last few days and off her food aliitle  although she can occasional be off her food. She was around 11 years old, and possibly slightly over weight, I don't think she has been to the vet recently. We did notice she had a small lump on one of her legs although it didn't seem to bother her, generally she appeared a happy and well dog. It has come as a great shock to us all and I was just wondering what the cause of death may of been??
Sorry to hear about your mums dog, its very sad when ever we loose one of our pets.
Sudden death is uncommon in our pets.  The more common reasons for suden death include:
1) Hemangiosarcoma.  These are blood vessel tumors typically of the liver, spleen, or base of the heart.  These tunors are fragile.  When they rupture the pet bleeds internally and can pass away quickly.
2) Gastric dilitation and volvulus.  This is when the stomach twists and the pet bloats.  Owners will come home and find that there pet has passed away.
3) Choking on a foreign body.  This is when the pet gets something stuck in their throat and can't breath.
There are many other less common reasons. Many times a veterinarian can perform a necropsy( an animal form of an autopsy) to determine the cause of death.
Hope this helps,
Thanks,
Dr Vicksman
Thanks for your answer. I initially thought it was a heart attack due to way she just collapsed, my mum doesn't want her to be 'messed around by the vet', so I guess we'll never know for sure!