Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Sudden death of staffordshire bull terrier
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Sudden death of staffordshire bull terrier

My mums dog has just collapsed and died, she has been a little quiet over the last few days and off her food aliitle  although she can occasional be off her food. She was around 11 years old, and possibly slightly over weight, I don't think she has been to the vet recently. We did notice she had a small lump on one of her legs although it didn't seem to bother her, generally she appeared a happy and well dog. It has come as a great shock to us all and I was just wondering what the cause of death may of been??
Type of Animal
:  
dog
Age of Animal
:  
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
stafforshire bull terrier
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
November 13, 2009
City
:  
nottingham
State/Province
:  
newark
Country
:  
england
Related Discussions
931235_tn?1283486507
Sorry to hear about your mums dog, its very sad when ever we loose one of our pets.
Sudden death is uncommon in our pets.  The more common reasons for suden death include:
1) Hemangiosarcoma.  These are blood vessel tumors typically of the liver, spleen, or base of the heart.  These tunors are fragile.  When they rupture the pet bleeds internally and can pass away quickly.
2) Gastric dilitation and volvulus.  This is when the stomach twists and the pet bloats.  Owners will come home and find that there pet has passed away.
3) Choking on a foreign body.  This is when the pet gets something stuck in their throat and can't breath.
There are many other less common reasons. Many times a veterinarian can perform a necropsy( an animal form of an autopsy) to determine the cause of death.
Hope this helps,
Thanks,
Dr Vicksman
2 Comments
Blank
Thanks for your answer. I initially thought it was a heart attack due to way she just collapsed, my mum doesn't want her to be 'messed around by the vet', so I guess we'll never know for sure!
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979