Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Swollen Abdomen
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Swollen Abdomen

My dog has had a swollem abdomen for a couple of days now additionally he seems to be in a lot of pain and as of today I've noticed that he's having trouble walking.  I took him to the vet 2 nights ago and they gave him a pain killer shot and some GI meds.  But they didn't know what was going on with him.  Does anyone have a ideas?
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
4ish
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Daschund
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
October 27, 2012
City
:  
Salina
State/Province
:  
Kansas
Country
:  
United States
Blood Test Results
:  
N/A
X-Ray Results
:  
N/A
Other pertinent test results
:  
N/A
2054217_tn?1330542034
Hi Jeremy,
A swollen abdomen can be minor due to intestinal parasites, or it can be serious due to a stomach twist, heart disease, cancer etc. I am recommending you return to your veterinarian and request some diagnostics such as a series of blood work and lab tests,, and a couple of abdominal xrays.
2 Comments
Blank
462827_tn?1333172552
Jeremey....I have an idea: Google IVDD (Intervertebral Disk/Disc Disease) More than likely, that's what your dealing with.....Doxies are the #1 Breed to experience this......

Also, your dog should not be walking, running or playing.......Crate rest is a must for 4-6 weeks to allow for the disk to heal.....From your description, it sounds as if it's getting worse......If it ruptures, then you could be looking at Paralysis & emergency surgery is recommended....

With the correct medications & cage rest, you can get him over this.....You must follow instructions to a tee......Carry him out to potty and carry him back in & put in crate.

I am not the Vet, but thought you needed a response soon......You can also post your question in the Dog Forum.......Good luck

Blank
This Forum's Experts
234713_tn?1283530259
Aleda M Cheng, D.V.M., C.V.ABlank
American Animal Hospital
Randolph, NJ
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity