Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Swollen Abdomen

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Swollen Abdomen
My dog has had a swollem abdomen for a couple of days now additionally he seems to be in a lot of pain and as of today I've noticed that he's having trouble walking.  I took him to the vet 2 nights ago and they gave him a pain killer shot and some GI meds.  But they didn't know what was going on with him.  Does anyone have a ideas?
Hi Jeremy,
A swollen abdomen can be minor due to intestinal parasites, or it can be serious due to a stomach twist, heart disease, cancer etc. I am recommending you return to your veterinarian and request some diagnostics such as a series of blood work and lab tests,, and a couple of abdominal xrays.
Jeremey....I have an idea: Google IVDD (Intervertebral Disk/Disc Disease) More than likely, that's what your dealing with.....Doxies are the #1 Breed to experience this......

Also, your dog should not be walking, running or playing.......Crate rest is a must for 4-6 weeks to allow for the disk to heal.....From your description, it sounds as if it's getting worse......If it ruptures, then you could be looking at Paralysis & emergency surgery is recommended....

With the correct medications & cage rest, you can get him over this.....You must follow instructions to a tee......Carry him out to potty and carry him back in & put in crate.

I am not the Vet, but thought you needed a response soon......You can also post your question in the Dog Forum.......Good luck