Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Swollen Parotid Glands and Increased Licking?
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Swollen Parotid Glands and Increased Licking?

Hi. My dog Rocco is a 6 year old chiuahua-terrier mix. He has been a very healthy dog until last week I came home and he had, what felt like, two mump like golf balls under his neck.  I rushed him to the Vet ER and they thought it was his lymph nodes. No other lymph nodes were inflamed and when they aspirated them the tests were inconclusive but they saw saliva. He has been on Cleocin for a week and I am seeing the size of them decrease very slowly -- more ping pong now than golf ball.  His red blood cell count was also very high so they gave him subcutaneous fluids.  He is eating and going to the bathroom just fine and temp is normal.
In addition to all of this for the past few months his has really increased his licking behaviors. He can lick for minutes at a time, almost cat-like. He will even just lick the air.  I'm wondering if somehow all of this is related? Somehow he is not salivating properly and becuase of that his mouth is really dry and his fluids are really low (or some combination thereof).  What can be done?  Strangely, I once had a swollen parotid gland and the doctor had me suck on sour items to help secrete the saliva.  Kind of hard to convince Rocco to suck on a lemon drop.:)  Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!