Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Swollen face/lethargy in 3 month old boxer

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Hello, my 3 month old boxer baby has been very lethargic all day, won't eat or drink, has a dry nose, wimpers while laying down/sleeping, feels warm to the touch, and now her right side of her face is swollen from below her eye to the tip of her snout.  I don't know what to do to help her.  I've tried putting ice on her face, but she doesn't like that very much and won't stay still for it.  I don't know what else to do for her.  I haven't taken her actual temperature, but her belly is very hot.
As you know this formum is not for emergencies and you should take your dog to the vet ASAP.  

Pain and swelling as you describe is usually due to a sting or insect bite or traumatic penetrating injury.  

What you need to do:  
Get this Puppy to a Vet ASAP....She clearly has something that needs to be addressed.....Don't make her wait & hope she gets better.......She's trying to tell you that she needs help.......Please, come back and let us know what you find out.....
I didn't have money to take her to the vet, but I did consult one online.  I gave her a little bit of children's tylenol and children's benedryl.  She's back to her normal playful self today, which is a relief to me, her sister, and my kids.  The swelling has started to go down, she's eating (a lot) and drinking fine now, her nose is cold and moist again and she's doing great.  If there is a relapse, I will definitely try to borrow the money from somebody, if I can.  It's hard being disabled and living on a fixed income. =(
Benadryl was going to be my first suggestion.  It sounded like she was having an allergic reaction to something which could have been even a bug bite of some kind.   Or to a shot she received, if any recently.   Anyway, I'm glad to hear the Bendadryl helped some, thanks for the update.