Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Swollen neck lymph glands

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Swollen neck lymph glands

About 6 weeks ago, we had our 5 year old Dachshund's teeth cleaned at the vet. He extracted 1 tooth. About 2 1/2 weeks later, his lymph glands only in his neck became swollen and he found it difficult to eat his dry dog food . His other lymph glands are normal. We also noticed his gums were very "raw" and red looking at the point where they meet the teeth.
Our vet of 30+ yearsdid a complete blood test and a CBC blood test for white & red count and all was normal and he has no abnormal temperature. He also immediately put him on 7 days of Amoxi/Clav 125mg antibiotic. That did little to no good. He then put him on 10 days of Amoxicillin 100mg and Metronidazole which also did no good. The lymph glands are swollen worse than ever and he won't eat this morning. The vet is going to perform a biopsy tomorrow (Monday) on the two neck lymph clands and also do a "culture" to attempt to rule out cancer and determine exactly what is causing this. He has lost no weight so far but if this eating problem continues, we're in trouble.  We are VERY worried.  Can anyone please shed some light at the end of this tunnel?  Thank you.
The dentistry could be incidental to an underlying condition.  Your vet is doing everything correctly.  Amoxicillin is an antibiotic for aerobic bacteria, and Metronidazole is for anaerobic bacteria, so you vet has your dog covered.  A culture and sensitivity will determine microscopically the exact organism that is causing the infection and will show the correct antibiotic.  Your dog is not that old so cancer may be lower on the list but unfortunately it could still be a possibility.  An autoimmune disorder is also a possibility, but can be controlled by medication.  It sounds like you are in good hands.  Let us know what the test show!
Dr. Cheng.  Thank you for your above response.  My wife & I just got the results of a biopsy taken this past Tuesday and the results were our deepest fear...our beloved Smokey has lymphoma. He is a "tweeney" 17 pound, blue & tan neutered male Doxie who just made 5 last month. We are totally devestated as we are 66 & 67 y/o empty nesters and he is our "baby". . Our plan was that Smokey would "bury" me and be the comforting companion for my wife to old age...but that wasn't God's plan.

We are getting into treatment with him this week with the best oncologist in this area, Dr. Andrew Daters, who was head of the LSU Dept. of Vet Oncology until he recently started his practice in our area. We are parying that the treatment regemin (whatever it takes) gives us a few more years and a good quality of life for our precious baby........we love him so much and the pain of our heartbreak is overwhelming.  

Any words of encouragement and/or stories of success with this terrible diagnosis would cetrainly be appreciated by me and his "mom". Thanks.
Lymphoma is one of the most treatable cancer's in the Canine,  especially if caught early before it spreads.  With chemotherapy the remission statistics are over 75%.  I thought your primary vet did everything correctly and I believe that you are in very good hands with an LSU Oncologist.  It is certainly a sad diagnosis for "parents" of any age, but it is especially sad for older "parents"  who don't expect survive their "children".

To increase his chances of remission and to decrease Smokey's side effects from the chemotherapy his diet and supplements should be optimized.  I will be glad to list the protocol for you at your request on this forum.  

Additionally, it would not hurt to find a good holistic vet who practices Chinese and western herbal medicine to help with adjunct herbs and support.  Search the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association website for a holistic vet in your area.