Animal Health - General Expert Forum
The vet does not know what is wrong with my dog and his runny nose and ...

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

The vet does not know what is wrong with my dog and his runny nose and swollen eye.

In 2009, my dog developed a runny nose. There was no other thing wrong with him except for his mucus. He had a steady stream of yellow/clear-ish mucus that came out. It was not too terrible initially. Over the years, the stream of snot became more constant. We took him to the vet and they did not know why he had a runny nose, but they put him on antibiotics. He has been antibiotics at least four times in the past four years.

n 2011, we decided to send him to another vet and they recommended removing some teeth. The vet removed multiple teeth and nothing changed. The only difference was that he started to snore. He also got a few nose bleeds. In these nose bleeds, he would sneeze large amounts of blood out. His mucus changed to a darker yellow/brownish color over the years. Sometimes there would be traces of blood. His nose is very dry and I think that is why he had nose bleeds.

Within the past month or so, he has developed a swollen eye. Only one eye is swollen. It first swelled up approximately a month ago and we took him to a third vet. It appeared that there was a golf ball stuck underneath his eye. It is swollen in the area between his eye and snout. It swelled up within a day; by the end of the day we could not see his eyeball. There was a yellow pus that seemed to be the cause of the swelling. The vet gave him some anti-inflammatory medicine and the swelling was greatly reduced but not completely healed. In the past few days, his eye swelled up once again. It is red around his eye and there is some yellow pus once again oozing out. He still has a runny nose, but it is not running very much when his eye is swollen.

Final notes: Sometimes his mucus is very thick and sometimes it is more watery. It seems to change.

What is wrong with my dog? The vets do not know! I just want him to get better.
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
8
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
English Springer Spaniel
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
September 10, 2012
City
:  
Kansas City
State/Province
:  
MO
Country
:  
USA
Other pertinent test results
:  
His vitals all turned out to be good.
All though you have had this done in the past, I think some teeth need to be extracted. The swelling under the eye and the pustular discharge is highly indicative of a tooth root abscess. Proper digital dental xrays are needed to view the sinuses and the dental roots. If the teeth in that area have already been removed, I would be still recommending xrays to see if fragments of the root were left in.