Animal Health - General Expert Forum
UTI=special diet?

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

UTI=special diet?
My pug girls keep getting UTIs.  I adopted them from a pug breed rescue group who recommended certain food for them and told us which foods to stay away from.  I really like the food they're on (it's helped with allergies/mobility/etc), but with recurring UTIs, the vet wants to put them on a special diet that has the three main ingredients that they don't need/shouldn't have AND they would have to eat twice as much of it as they eat now!  Is this really necessary, or is there something else I can do to keep this from happening?  They've had X-Rays to rule out stones, they've had courses of antibiotics...as soon as they go off the medicine, they have about a month or two before they start the process all over again!  I feel terrible for them.  The special food costs twice what the holistic food does-- add that to the fact that they have to eat twice as much and the cost goes through the roof!  

When they are on the prescription diet, do they get less UTI's?  If so, it might be in their best interest to at least mix the prescription diet with the holistic diet so they derive some of the benefit from the prescription diet.

Alternatives include placing your dogs on Cosequin or another glucosamine/chondrotin supplement.  Glucosamine is a component used by the bladder lining to increase integrity.  Other supplements that may help: Cranberry capsules, Probiotics, the Chinese herbal formula: Eight Righteous, the Western herbal formula: Hydrangea and Eupatorium, and more.  In addition, the PULSE form of administration of antibiotics may also help.