Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Unusual Kidney issue

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Unusual Kidney issue

I have a cat (Pookee) that has been diagnosed with renal failure. We brought her in for dental work and the blood tests showed high creatinine and urea. Her phosperus levels are normal with elevated calcium.

She is showing no signs of sickness. Her appetite is great, lots of energy, etc. 4 years ago another blood test showed the same calcium levels but normal kidney function. My vet(s) are confused by the test results. All her other blood tests are normal (sodium, pot, protein, etc)

We are giving her subcutaneous fluids, a kidney diet and some probiotics. Can we do anything to get rid of the calcium deposits? Could the calcium be kidney stones? Is renal advanced (the powder supplement) really important for her to take? My vets are clueless. They can't tell me anything. We are crazy about our Pookee.
Type of Animal
:  
Cat
Age of Animal
:  
15
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Calico
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
October 05, 2010
City
:  
Halifax
State/Province
:  
Nova Scotia
Country
:  
Canada
Blood Test Results
:  
Normal phosphorus
Double creatinine
elevated calcium
X-Ray Results
:  
small white spot on both kidneys
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi-Your cat may need Aluminum Hydroxide to bind the excess blood calcium.

Here are some notes about cat kidney failure that explain this and may be helpful.

Pet Products to remove Excess Calcium and Phosphorus for Dogs & Cats with Kidney Disease:

Aluminum hydroxide (ALOH) is currently recommended by Board Certified Veterinary Internists at the University of Davis, veterinary hospital as the product of choice to use in pets to effectively bind and eliminate excess phosphorus from the body. It has effectively replaced Epikacin for this purpose.

Epikacin, is an old Calcium based product, formerly used to bind excess phosphorus and help eliminate it from the body, in pets with kidney failure. Unfortunately, excess calcium blood levels are usually also present in pets with kidney failure and because of this, newer products specifically Aluminum Hydroxide is considered to be the best product available to reduce excess phosphorus and calcium blood levels.

Today kidney therapy in cats and dogs may include Calcitriol, which is a natural form of vitamin D and is compounded specifically for each pet.  Capsules are given by mouth once daily.  Calcitriol helps prevent further kidney deterioration, regenerates the kidneys and helps restore normal function. It was given routinely to human dialysis patients.

In pets, Calcitriol is only effective when the value of the blood calcium multiplied by the blood phosphorus level is less than 40. After over 15 years, of successful international clinical trials, Calcitriol is still considered experimental in pets.  

Results have been excellent for both dogs and cats.  Kidney transplants are a treatment option in extreme cases, and are available at a few veterinary facilities in the US. The College of Veterinary Medicine, in Davis, California has a top notch Kidney Transplant and pet dialysis facility.

Long-term management involves monitoring kidney functions with blood and urine tests every three to six months.  At home hydration can be monitored by pinching the skin on the back of your cat's neck.  Hold it for five seconds, then release.  If it takes over five seconds for the skin to return to normal, your pet is dehydrated and fluids are indicated.  

Pet owners may learn to give daily subcutaneous fluids, which are given under the skin at home.  Sodium Chloride, rather than Lactated Ringers solution is preferred for fluid administration, because the Lactated Ringers solution contains both Phosphorus and Calcium neither of which are beneficial to dogs or cats in kidney failure.  

Most pets enjoy quality life for several years post diagnosis.

I would be glad to review your cats blood and urine tests and discuss this with you in detail.

Feel free to contact our veterinary office.

Best Wishes,

Dr. Carol Osborne, DVM
In Pookee's case, her Phosphorus levels are normal. Can Aluminum Hydroxide still be used to lower her calcium? My vet has now given us the steriod prednisone to reduce her calcium. Do you agree?

thanks
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Prednisone is a steroid that promotes appetites but is quite detrimental to kidney function
Dr Carol