Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Urinary Tract Infections in Dogs

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Urinary Tract Infections in Dogs

My dog has had several urinary tract infections, one of which she also had crystals.  Her vet finally cured it by several medications and changing her diet.  She is now on her regular diet and has not had a UTI in about a year.  I knew that something was originally wrong when she began urinating on the bed.  I am constantly worried that she may have another UTI.  She has not urinated on the bed, but I have noticed that she seems to strain when she urinates outside.  One time, though, I thought she was straining and I took a urine sample in to the vet, and she had no signs of a urinary tract infection.  My vet is 45 minutes away, and I can't seem to find a vet close by that will give her medicine if they test her urine and it shows a UTI without seeing her and charging me for an office visit.  I was wondering if there is a credible urine test that I can use at home that would let me know if she has a UTI or not.  Please let me know what I should do.  I don't want to constantly be taking urine samples to the vet, but if she has a UTI, I want to be sure to cure it as soon as possible.
Check with this web site:   http://www.thepetcheckup.com/
They will sell you a urine test kit to monitor the urine for blood, and other common problems in urine, and gives you detailed information.  

This test kit does not tell you if your dog has crystals in her urine, however.  Visualizing crystals has to be done by microscope.  It will be a start at least.  Dogs also strain if they have impacted anal glands.  Anal glands can be emptied from the outside by some groomers.